Thursday, March 19, 2009

We're in Beijing!















Well, after about 20 hours in the air and in an airport, we are in China! Besides the two hour delay in Chicago, our travels went fairly well. We were able to watch Slumdog Millionaire on our own little video screen on the back of the seat in front of us. I really can't tell you the last time Jon and I actually sat down to watch a movie together uniterrupted. Conversations with other adoptive parents also helped the time pass and also an occassional cat nap helped too. The greatest thrill for me was flying over (or near) the North Pole. Leah and Natalie, I looked for Santa and I thought I saw a speck of red on the ground, so it very well might have been him.

Once we arrived in Beijing, we all headed to the local market called the "Wonderful" to buy some bottled water and some Lays chips (the flavors they have are quite interesting...blueberry chips, mango chips, beef flavored chips, etc.) It was so cool to see all of the food brands that we have in the US written in Chinese characters.

The day has been so sureal and we keep pinching each other to see if this is actually happening. Tomorrow we head off to the Summer Palace and the Forbidden City.

9 comments:

groovy mama said...

Congrats to you guys..can't wait to you are united with your little bundle!...my daughter in the same SWI as yours...take care and happy journey!
DC :)

Sharon said...

Yeah!!! So glad all went well and you are in the birth country of Julianne!! I thought of you throughout the day yesterday and prayers were said!!
Have a great time touring. It is exhausting but keeps you busy until she is in your arms!!!

Tiaras, Tutus, and Fairy Dust. said...

Glad to see you made to China safely!!! I can not wait to see the first pics of you both holding your daughter:-)
Sue

Unknown said...

Hi
WE are so glad you are there! Yeah have a great time. Counting down until you get your baby in your arms!

Sheryl said...

Glad you trip was uneventful! Have fun in BJ, soon you'll be in Lanzhou and have Julianne!

Jenn said...

So glad yal had uneventful travel:) Enjoy the time yal have together as a couple and take it all in. Hard to believe that in a few short days yal will be a family of 5!
<><
Jenn

Two Blue Rooms said...

Have a wonderful time in Beijing! In just a few short days you will finally have your beautiful daughter in your arms! :)
Thank you again for taking our little package to China for our little one.
All my best,
Kimberlyn

dianal said...

Jon and Debbie,
Can you believe you are finally in CHINA???? I am very happy for you both! Can not wait to see Miss Julianne in your arms!!!!!

Aus said...

Great to see you guys there!! By now you have had the first day of adventure (should be about 1900 Friday your time) - amazing things you've seen today eh? Looking forward to following the trip...and a tad bit envious - I so loved that country! Who's your guide? If it is - by chance - Lilli - please give her our greetings and a hug from Brianna too!

hugs - aus and co.