Now that all the tears and pain have subsided for the most part, I can now say that Julianne made it through surgery like a champ. Her wrist is now almost perfectly straight due to a pin that is placed in the wrist. She will need to wear her cast for about six weeks and unfortunately about three months later, we will have to endure another surgery to move her pointer finger to her thumb position. Her current thumb is called a "floating thumb" due to no metacarpal so it will need to be removed.
Prior to surgery, Dr. Cornwall had asked what color we wanted Julianne's cast. I wanted a color that would not show dirt due to the fact that she is still using her arms to help her become mobile. So I said, "Let's have the Xavier (my Alma mater) blue color." Dr. Cornwall added his touch by putting a big "X" on the cast with glow-in-the-dark white. Go Muskies! Too bad we're not in the March Madness season.
After surgery, we were called back to her recovery room where we were informed that her heart rate was sky high - hitting over 200 beats per minute. We are still not sure if it was due to pain/stress or if this is an indicator of a heart issue. Currently, as Julianne is babbling, 152 is the current number which is still high. She is now in her crib without me holding her - just amusing herself with her lovies - monkey and blanket. Leah and Natalie had saved up money and bought Julianne a monkey back in November and now she cannot go to sleep without 'the monkey'.
As I sit here with pee and puke on both my shirt and jeans, I am feeling so blessed - three awesome daughters, a loving husband, Children's Hospital, health care, supportive family, and the list goes on.....
9 comments:
Glad to hear things went well! Julianne is looking great. I'll try to forgive you for the XU thing. We're thinking of you.
Shannon and Eric
Deb, Shari LOVED the cast! I'm glad things went well for the first part. I will continue to pray for a speedy recovery.
Xavier, huh? Notre Dame all the way!!! Glad to see her smile again. She looks great. We will keep positive thoughts for Julianne and your lovely family.
Snuffy and Rusti
Hey Guys - thanks for the update - we're breathing a little easier! As for the cast - I didn't know that you were a fellow Muskie - I'm class of '81! Love the cast!!
Prayers for continued progress - and as always - anything ya'll might need!
hugs - aus and co.
Glad she is doing well! We will continue to pray for a quick recovery!
You all have been in my thoughts and prayers. Glad all is going well and hopefully you can get cleaned up soon!
Glad to hear you are all doing okay. Hoping that Julianne continues to feel better with each day
Happy Mother's day Debbie! I hope Julianne is recovering well.
Sue
I found your blog this morning and was thrilled. Does/did Julianne have a radial club hand? I could probably read the whole blog and figure it out but I would love to chat with you. We are in the process of adopting a 2 yr old boy from Thailand who has a radial club hand. Although I have found information I have yet to speak to another mom about how to proceed when he comes home. Julianne is a beautiful girl!! Congrats on her adoption.
Smiles,
Tara
My email is vwtims@comcast.net
Post a Comment