Saturday, January 24, 2009

Julianne's Birthday Party








Julianne turns ONE on the 28th so we decided to celebrate the special day with our closest friends at their home. It is quite funny that Julianne's birthday fell on the first day of Chinese New Year last year so tonight we thought it would be appropriate to have our own little New Year Celebration - not so traditional but we made it our own.
The night started with a small Chinese buffet with homemade fried rice (thanks Kim) and food from our local Chinese restaurant. The kids enjoyed a gift bag (thanks Kim), fortune cookie and a birthday cake and song. I am sure Julianne could hear the serenade of the five young voices singing her birthday song. We also wrote birthday wishes on a Chinese-style lantern and let it loose into the night sky. We stretched the truth a bit (well, a lot) by telling the girls that the lantern was on its way to China so Julianne could see it. I wonder how many calls the police got stating that there was a UFO in the sky. Oh well....
It breaks our hearts that we cannot be there with her on her actual birthday but we will be with her in the next few months - hopefully, in time for Easter. Happy Birthday, RuoTing!

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

What a great way to celebrate! I know you are missing your sweet baby girl...it won't be too much longer. Hugs, Sheryl

Jenn said...

Hey Yal-
We had a little family b-day party while we waited for Abby Grace too. Of course I cried thinking about her still waiting for us and knowing that she did not get to even celebrate her b-day. I just LOVE the paper lantern idea, it is such a beautiful thought. Wow..only a few more short months and she'll be in your arms forever. We cannot wait to follow along.
<><
Jenn